- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons whole milk yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, or more to taste
- 1 ½ -2 cups strawberry Jam (Filling)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg; set aside.
3. In another bowl beat/mix together the granulated sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the egg, yogurt, vanilla, and lemon zest, and beat till incorporated and gradually add flour mixture, mixing until combined.
4. Divide dough into quarters. Roll out dough 1/8-inch-thick.
5. Using heart cutter, cut out 15 cookies and place half of them on a prepared baking sheet, leaving 1 inch between cookies.
6. Place a generous tablespoon of filling in the center of the hearts on the baking sheet. Spread filling leaving a 1/4-inch border. Top with remaining hearts. Use the tines of a fork, to decoratively press the pocket edges together.
7. Bake until golden around the edges, 12 to 14 minutes. Rotate pans once after 7 minutes to ensure even baking. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Valentines Pink Frosting
1 cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons milk
2-5 drops red food colouring
Mix powdered sugar, vanilla and milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until spreadable (mixture will thicken slightly as it sets).